Thursday, January 28, 2010

Watsonville California Native Martin Monroy with Tigres UANL Segunda División


Photo courtesy of USSDA

Q&A with Watsonville California Native Martin Monroy. Martin is among 14 US players in the Tigres Youth System. An Alumni of the Santa Cruz County Breakers Development Academy Team, Martin scored 14 goals in the 2008-2009 season.

Q? TFG Can you give us a brief personal history? How long were you in the United States and where did you play soccer in your early years?

A - Martin Well, I've been playing soccer since I was five and I been playing in the U.S all my life till now. I'm playing with Tigres. I have tried out for Chivas in Mexico and Borussia Monchengladbach in Germany.

Q? TFG There was article that mention you were on a trial at Borussia Monchengladbach. What was that experience like?

A - Martin That was one of the greatest experiences I have ever had because my dream is to play in Europe. I actually did very well but they were not sure about my age because I was 16 and playing with the U-19s.

Q? TFG How were you spotted by Tigres and what were the factors that made you choose their program?

A - Martin I was spotted at an academy showcase in Florida and came for a week try-out and I liked it a lot and they treat me very well.

Q? TFG There seem to be a large number of Mexican American youths (Do you know how many?) from California and Texas. What is the culture or atmosphere like at Tigres?

A - Martin Yes, right now there are about 14 players. From California, there are 8. Texas 3 and Denver 3. The culture is good it's very relaxing here at the house and everyone is very friendly.

Q? TFG What are your goals for the next 2 years?

A - Martin Well, I want to play pro hopefully by the end of this year or the beginning of the next year. And if that doesn't work out, I’d want to play for an U.S. Professional club.

Q? TFG Can you share what your weekly routine at Tigres and Monterrey?

A - Martin Well, we wake up at 7:30 am. Have breakfast, get on the bus around 7:50 for the training field. Train from 9 to 11:30. Come back to the house and have lunch and rest. At 4pm, we have to go to the stadium for our Spanish class to improve our vocabulary. Then we come back at 6:30 pm and have dinner and just go to bed around 10pm.

Q? TFG There seems to be a track record of more Mexican American kids’ trialing and signing at Tigres. What kind of advice would you give them about joining Tigres?

A - Martin Well, Tigres is a very good club! The club is ok and it is a good place to start off your soccer career.

Q? TFG In the shot time that you have been there, has any youth player impressed from Tigres youth system?

A - Martin So far no one has moved up but some players do train with reserves sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment