Friday, September 10, 2010

An American in Panama. Taylor Rice, Chorrillo F.C.

TFG had the pleasure of catching-up with Taylor. Very few Americans (OK, none that I could think of) are starting their Professional career in Chorrillo, Panama. It is said to be one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in central America.

TFG - Hello Taylor, Can you give us a little back ground of your youth soccer experience in the states?

TR - Ever since I kicked a ball I knew I wanted to be a professional soccer player.It is the life all kids dream of. As years went on I grew a passion and desire to accomplish what most can’t, try and become pro. I was always told I have the potential to go all the way. I had an opportunity to move to Dallas with my father, the soccer hub of the US. We made the move; I then started out playing with Solar, ranked 14th in the nation. Wasn't a doubt in my mind, this was the start to my career. As years went on, I had opportunities to play under some of the most influential coaches around in Dallas. Kevin Smith, Neil Cohen, Francisco Molina, David Hudgell, Hassan Nazari. Martin Hind. I find myself lucky to have had so many good coaches so far, I find that I have been able to learn so much, from different styles, from an European style, to a Latin style, to a middle eastern style of play.

At a point in my life where I was playing for the Texas state ODP team, under Gary Williamson and Armando Pelaez to move onto to the regional team, still striving to find that youth contract. After one summer with the state team and the regional team, opted to make the move to England to snatch up one of those youth contracts. Landed myself at top clubs Blackburn Rovers for the second time, Bolton Wonderers, and Tottenham hotspurs. After a long while in the UK things weren't going as planned, decided to move back to the states and keep working at my goal. This is where my chance came. I was going to IMG for a year! IMG was my golden prison, this is where I knew that I would make it. I had one of the best coaches of all time, Tom Durkin. Ferdi DeMattheais was my under 19 coach for the academy. We won everything, our club league, tournaments, sun bowl, shut outs, we actually took a trip to Italy with Ferdi. Oh my god, we played Roma, Lazio, Napoli and Benevento. We were undefeated for our 3 week tour of Italy. It was insane to have beaten Lazio reserves 2-0, beat Roma 4-0, Napoli 2-1, and Benevento 3-1. There were of us approached by agents, to say the least, us four are all pros today. One in Italy, one in Greece, one in Scotland who has just moved to Mexico with Monterrey. We followed the Italy tour with a presence in the final of the Dallas Cup. Man, to return with IMG academy to my home town to be in the final of Dallas cup was amazing, it was something else truly.

I honestly felt like I could have gone pro after IMG because it got me ready, got me where I needed to be. I went on to play in the PDL league with New Orleans, I was the youngest player on the team, coming out of high school, started and played every game. It was a sign that I had it in me to go all the way. After the PDL season opted for college, didn’t really realize what I had gotten myself into, missed playing everyday. College is blah. Out of 4 years of college you really only get to play a full year of soccer, so many gay rules with NCAA and what not. I wanted soccer everyday. And only soccer. After a stint of two years at college, I made the decision to leave; because wanted to get my young pro years in and a long career. Also, who wants old players? I felt while I was still some what young as a pro why not go for it.

TFG - My first awareness of the Chorrillo FC was this year's Dallas Cup. They played a very entertaining style of soccer as well a joy of the game unlike most U19's. Afterward, I research the Chorrillo FC history and I have to say, you are a brave man. Did you know about the history of Chorrillo Panama? And, can you share some of your impression and observations so far?

TR - I'm here as the first American to ever play for Chorrillo and the league. I knew it wasn’t going to be easy. I’m American, people are already against me, and I now know how hard it is, as a foreigner. I’m new; I have to learn that beautiful style of soccer they magically play. It’s truly amazing; I have embraced a new culture of soccer, a new style of soccer, a new way of life as a Latin. I have embraced the language, the food, and the people. I am not even nearly close to being comfortable. To have to learn Spanish to be able to communicate was the most difficult part. It means to think in English to try to translate it in Spanish, and then say it out loud, and say it correctly and in a split second, communication is a key for a defender. A lot of vocals are needed; I am still struggling with the communication bit today. But you know what; I know this is the beginning.

TFG - How did you come to be tracked by Chorrillo and the decision to sign with them?

TR - I left, I came to Panamá solely on vacation, and met an Italian goalkeeper, who had moved here with his wife to play in the Panamanian league. Well one thing led to another after a long conversation, in broken Spanish between the both of us. It was quite funny, he invited me to play with the team he was a goalkeeper coach for. I said, sure, this could be a sign, an opportunity, why not try. Bought a pair of Adidas, went out the next day, had a little fun, well the opportunity was there. Chorrillo spotted me, the night before my departure, my phone rang, it was the Italian goalkeeper, asked how I liked it the other day and this and that, well it came to the end of the conversation and he said Chorrillo wanted to give me a two week trial; it was finally panning out the way I wanted it to. Missed my flight and stayed.

TWO WEEK TRIAL

Started as I pulled up in front of the Casa club, the club house of Chorrillo. It was there for the taking. The acclamation from what I was used to, and where I was going was a bit frightening. Honestly, I was homesick. I made it through the two weeks and it came about that there was a foreigner rule, 5 per team. Well, their roster was full, ended up staying here for just over two months with them. Free training in my eyes, decided to go back to Dallas to try out for the Austin Aztex because I wanted to be close to home, was doing so much traveling and really just wanted to be near family. short story, it didn’t work down in Austin, then I moved back home and really just noticed had to bust ass to get where I wanted to go, if it meant 5 miles in the morning, 2 hours in the gym in mid day, and ball work at night. That was the plan. It had to work. Plain and simple. I needed a team in Dallas to play for, actually went to Richland College, trained with them twice a week, i went to the PDL team Tornados, twice a week, and honorably I played for under-23 ODP team for the state of Texas. It started to look like a boot camp to be prepared for anything in the future. I thought, and hoping, I was going to get invited back to Panamá for the start of the next season because wanted a foreign spot but ended up playing for Paul Robinson on the DFW Tornados PDL team. A good level of play, with a great group of guys, from players to the staff. And, playing with Terry Woodberry on the u23s was my preparation. I had good players I was learning from on DFW, Paulo da Silva from SMU, Gifton Noel Williams from EPL-Stoke City Sevilla in Spain, Chris Ross from Chivas, a player from Chicago fire. There were the Ivo brothers. I had a good group to prepare me for whatever came along.

DALLAS CUP

I got to see the under 17 team from Chorrillo, and some of the coaching staff, the vice president of the club, pretty funny to see a team consist mostly of 15, 16 and 17 year olds win the u 19 age group. Pretty nice, it was then that I knew that I would be able to learn the most I could from Chorrillo and the Panamanian league. The week went on, and the vice president of the club and one of the coaches, invited me back to panama for pre season. My hard work was not finished. I had to come in with Colombians, Brazilians, Venezuelans, and Argentinians. There were 9 or so of us invited in for preseason. I had to get one of two spots. They were looking for attackers, but I knew I could show them what I had been working on. I did so. After a three week period and seeing players leave and come and leave and come I didn’t know what was going to happen but stayed positive. I was then offered a 3 year contract with the club. My days were not over, but my blessings were answered. I had finally made it, I have only made it far enough to have my status as a pro, I am not finished yet. My job is not done. I knew what I was getting myself into, I have to work hard, and I live in the club house with some of the other players, the foreigners, and the out of town Panamanians.

TFG - What is your impression of the professional soccer in Panama so far?

TR - The soccer here in Panamá is growing beneath my eyes. Its happening so fast, the country is growing as a whole. I believe I am going to be able to learn so much from the league, the team and the organization. It’s different. I’m one of the biggest guys on my team, it’s an advantage and a disadvantage. I can’t play my normal game, I’m making the adjustments. And far as the neighborhood, I have been welcomed with open arms. I am greeted around the town and feel very welcomed by the fans and the organization; they have been nothing but great to me and my family.

TFG - What are your long term soccer goals?

TR - My ambitions are as high as anybody else in football. We want to get to the top; we want to play for our nation. We want the honor. I eventually don’t mind where I end up, I just want to improve everyday, and be the best I can. It will come with dedication and commitment. I don’t have a famous athlete’s life, I don’t party, and I don’t date. I live and breathe soccer and that’s what it will take for anybody to get to the top. I will have time for all kinds of girls, parties, and friends when I have made it and retired, it will mean soooo much more later on when i have everything I ever dreamed of. I do want to play for either the united states or England, I find both very honorable as I am half English and half American, I will make either side of the family blessed and happy.

Sorry for the length, but I have so much to say about my journey here, it has not been easy one bit. It’s fucking hard. Excuse the French but, I have been playing for 17 years, since I was 4 and I could not be happier. I am working really hard for my coach and club, I want to make my club money, and I want to be purchased. Spain, Italy, England, Germany, wherever. I wouldn’t mind getting back to the United States and taking my knowledge and experience along with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment